Many owners fear that their dogs will not settle for massage and are surprised to see their dogs response when handled empathetically, with care and consideration and the correct massage techniques used to calm them.
Dogs can easily get stressed, nervous or anxious, it could be due to any of the following:
- Loud noises i.e. thunderstorms
- Changes in circumstances
- Loss of another pet
- Being a senior dog (their physical abilities change with age)
- Child going to college
- Attacked by another dog/scared of strangers
Often we overlook the psychological needs of our dogs. Massage helps to build confidence in shy and fearful dogs, we cant ignore the positive results for social and emotional health that Canine massage provides. Canine Massage helps to build a dog’s self-confidence, sociability and feelings of trust and belonging.
- Teaches a dog that hands make good things happen
- Releasing tension
- Calming the “fight or flight” response
- Lowering stress hormones in the body
- Promotes comfort, self-worth, bonding and emotional well-being
- Releases endorphins and boosts the immune system
Massage helps heal the body and mind and can have a fantastic calming effect, bringing everything together – their bodies, to their minds to their emotions.